A little eye candy to get you started this year. This is a beautiful piece of mookaite (for more info, go here) that I set recently. Setting stones, for me, is proving as difficult as I expected...maybe it's difficult *because* I expected it to be...but either way it's still a struggle. However I have signed up for another 10-week course at the Spruill Center - starting next week - and I am determined to get better! :)
I don't think I've ever been so happy to see the back end of any year, as I was to say goodbye to 2011. What a crazy year...and yet it's still with me. I'm behind on everything. That's what happens when you have two surgeries, a slow recovery period, a sick father...among other things. But I'm looking ahead and wanting to make 2012 the best year yet. Here's how:
1. Spend more time / quality time with the people I love. Last year felt so fractured, and I felt isolated and lonely in many ways. And this year there's a strong possibility I will lose my father. So one of my goals is to figure out how to schedule in more time with the people who are important to me. I started today by meeting two friends for lunch. :) And I'm taking extra time on all three work trips to Arizona in the next few months, to get in some quality time with Dad.
Here's Dad and me back in November when we visited. :)
2. Spend my money more consciously. Times are tight, and seem to be continuing that way in the forseeable future. I made cuts last year and the prior year, but this year I need to make even more. And I really need to be on top of my labor and materials costs. I learned so much last year as my skills grew, and now I have to put that knowledge to even better use.
I am changing up the way I spend in my personal life too, looking for more quality over quantity, and (yes, really) buying more practical shoes. I need some work shoes. I tend to get sidetracked by all the fun, pretty footwear I see, and then of course I'm without appropriate footwear for work. I know it sounds like a silly goal but I think it's necessary so I don't get off track. (You can see the shoe evidence here)
3. In tandem with number 2 - grow the business to $XXX. (my secret number). I've got a few ideas in place and honestly I think my secret number is not quite attainable this year...but I figure if I try to set a goal for what's attainable, I'll never exceed it. So I'm going for the unattainable. Wish me luck. :)
4. Lose 15 pounds by the end of the year. Between my own discipline and the surgery last year, I lost almost 20 pounds. Which leaves 15 more to go. And I figure that the end of the year is a totally reasonable date to achieve it. Hopefully it will be a good bit sooner than that, but just in case...portion control, more exercise, and watching the random snacking should all help get me there. And to those of you who find that number offensive...thank you for telling me so...but I promise you, I'll still be at a very healthy weight with 15 more pounds gone.
5. Have the braces off by the end of the year. I was hoping for March, but a few months ago my orthodontist said "maybe" summer. And now with the surgical complications, I haven't been wearing the rubber bands (I can't get them in). Every day of not wearing them is pushing back when the braces will come off. And I have to do physical therapy on the jaw this year...so I am giving myself a big ol' long window with the braces. And if they AREN'T off by next year, then I guess I'll be all grumpy and depressed THEN. But for now...positivity. :)
And of course number 6 is to yet *again* try to keep up with the blog. One of these years it will all come together!
Best wishes for a very happy, prosperous, and safe 2012!