Saturday, April 7, 2012

An Evolution

I've posted before about my jewelry fabrication journey, especially as it relates to stone setting. While recently I haven't had as much time as I'd like to hone my skills, I did create a few more pieces and I can see a design evolution.

I posted here about one of my first pendants and the issues I had with creating it. Where at first I found that just cutting out the backplate and getting the bezel solidly soldered down to it was problematic, now both of those steps come much more easily to me. And I've started to add embellishments to my fabrication work:


This is a gorgeous piece of lapis I've had for some time. I like setting teardrop stones "upside down" as my husband says...I don't know why but I like the points downward. Here's another example:


The above photo was a quickie while my girlfriend was wearing her necklace...I had photos of it at home but unfortunately they were lost, so this is all I have.

Next up is a Peruvian opal:


I love the colors in the opal! I have a few more like this and can't wait to play with them. I only added a few extras around the bezel as the stone has a lot going on. And the turquoise briolette picks up the colors perfectly.  :)

One more - which I almost didn't put up for sale. I SO love how this pendant turned out! But I can't possibly keep them all:


Sorry for the crooked shot, but it's the best one for showing the stone face. A phenomenal ocean jasper! Ocean jasper is found only in Madagascar, and can only be accessed at low tide, so I wanted to play with that. I made an asymmetrical back plate and then added only dot embellishments, randomly, to echo the orbs in the stone itself. The back is textured to look like the ocean has tossed it around for eons.

Now that I'm more comfortable adding embellishments, I feel like I'm ready to start adding more! I don't know what that will do to my stone choices - I tend to buy "busy" stones, and I'm not sure a "busy" background will really work with those - but I'm eager to see how the ideas and stones come together.  :)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete