Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pondering the Next Step

I think I'm sort at a weird place in my fabrication journey. Now that I've reached the point where the mechanics of fabrication are coming along fairly easily, I am focusing more on design. And that's a thrill!! I feel like I've got designs just rushing out of me....well, they're rushing to GET out, but I can't make them all at once; I can barely even scratch the surface of making any of them. My sketchbook is overflowing right now, but there's never enough time...

The dot-and-line pieces (I've got to think of a better name for those) are coming along nicely, though I'm thinking they may be too boring. Ha! Only a couple of weeks in and I'm over it already. Such an instant gratification girl! But I still want to give them a go at wholesale, refine the line, and see where that goes. And I keep thinking about how to do more of the curvy metal with the accent pieces as a stand alone. I'm not there yet, but it's floating around my mind, tickling me with its potential.

I also want to revisit this:



in several ways. I did two or three pieces like this last year, and they all sold. And they got brought up to me several times after they were gone. And I like the idea of them...I just couldn't get to where I was satisfied overall with the blackened parts. But I have a lot more experience - with both designing and blackening - behind me now, and I have some new ideas for this style.

And, I think I might be moving UP a bit with the mosaic work. I had some pieces cast last year, and they did allright...but not what I'd hoped for. And now I think I have some new plans for casting with the mosaic pieces in place, and also changing the hand fabricated work with these pieces.

I also recently finished this:


And while it was a big learning experience, I am really happy with the end result. I want to pursue this direction further, and though I know I'm crazy for even thinking about it, I am tempted to submit it here. This is such a big deal to me that I barely can think about it, much less think about winning anything...but still. You can't win if you don't play, right?  :)

Right now I'm working on a bunch more dot-and-line bezel pieces, and then I need to do some work to be cast, but I also want to start the next mosaic piece. I find that they don't make me quite as crazy if I sort of space them out a bit, and let myself play with slightly less complex pieces in between. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment