Monday, January 18, 2016

Simple is Hard.




“Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.” 

The drawing(s) are Picasso. The quote, Steve Jobs. Two giants among men, both with vast talents and vision. Both ultimately able to "do simple" so very, very well. 

I have been working, for some time, on a line of "simple" and yet "not dull" jewelry, that will give me a little relief from the constant designing of my one of a kind, un-simple creations. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE making the dramatic, statement-y designs. But they require a lot of time and energy. And there is only so much of either to go around...which is why I find myself straddling that line between fresh, uncomplicated, and yet not done to death. Because everything in design is a line, a dot, a circle.The basics have been with us for thousands of years, in archtiecture, jewelry, ceramics...look around you, and you'll see it too. It's not easy to be original. :) 

So. Hopefully the hard stony ground will yield its own rewards when the time comes...it usually does. But right now, I am reminded of another quote, from Mr Picasso:

"Every act of creation is first an act of destruction".  

Oh yes...tear it down and build anew. I'm on it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment