Thursday, May 21, 2009

Life Rules

One of the reasons I started my own business was because I was tired of working for companies whose missions and visions didn't necessarily match up with my own. And one of my great joys has been to see my company take shape, in the way *I* want it to be. It's an extension of myself and therefore, what it puts out into the world is what I am putting out into the world (most days, anyway. Sometimes I am just cranky and it's good that I work from home with no social interaction!).

I was recently asked what my "rules" are for the business. And while I don't consciously think about my rules that often, they inform everything I do, both personally and professionally. So I thought I'd share them here:

1. The Golden Rule. Do Unto Others. I firmly believe that you get back what you give. If you dish out crap, you're going to get crap thrown back at you. If you are positive and kind, you'll get the same back. Really, any other rules I might have are just subsets of this.

2. Do No Harm. I believe in a "live and let live" philosophy. If your lifestyle / behavior isn't hurting anyone, then by all means, enjoy it. It doesn't mean that I will necessarily agree with it, but I respect your choice.

3. A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats. The jewelry design world is extremely competitive - hell, the world in general is extremely competitive! And some people are so competitive that they think their success is contingent on others' failing. I believe there's enough room in this world for all of us to succeed in our own ways. We each have to walk our own paths, but most of us have learned from others' experience, mistakes, or assistance. So be open to sharing with others to help them succeed. And hope they succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

4. Know Who You Are, and Be True to Yourself. Be honest with yourself, always. Know who you are and then act accordingly. Don't be swayed by something that goes against who you are. And be proud of who you are. If you can't be proud, then look for ways to change the parts of yourself you dislike.

5. Build Bridges, not Walls. Those of you who have been reading my blog for some time have heard this before! We are all connected. Every interaction, no matter how small, has meaning. Why not make it a positive interaction? Give random compliments. Take the time to look people in the eye, and smile! Wish them the best. Take the stones you are given and build bridges everywhere you go. And just see what kind of richly fulfilled life you will have. :)

Please feel free to share your thoughts here. I am eager to hear your own life rules!

Philosophically,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment